Start at the top of the page leaving a one-inch top margin. Include:
- Full name;
- Complete address (both permanent and present if different);
- Home phone number with area code, cell phone, if applicable, and work number only if appropriate to contact you there; and
- Email address.
Make sure that the message on your answering machine and your email address are professional and appropriate for a potential employer.
231 Cajuns Drive | Lafayette, Louisiana 70503 | firstname.lastname@example.org | 337.482.1444
- Gives your resume focus; tailor it to the position you are applying for.
- Usually a single phrase expressing the specific type of employment you are seeking and/or the specific skills or abilities you want to use on the job.
An enthusiastic Kineseology graduate with more than four years of demonstrated performance. Solid combined expereince in marketing, communciations, sales and distribution.
- List in reverse chronological order with the highest degree or education first.
- Include university/college/school name and location, degree, date of graduation (or expected graduation), major, related coursework and possibly G.P.A.
- May also include honors, awards, scholarships, dissertation and thesis topics.
- List licenses earned or training certificates received.
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
Minor in Management
- Expected Gradution: May 2022
- GPA: 3.8
- Start with your most recent employment and work backward.
- Includes full-time, part-time, seasonal, internships, co-op, or volunteer work.
- Provide names and location of employers, dates of employment (month/year to month/year).
- Describe your duties, responsibilities, and accomplishments using short, powerful phrases beginning with action verbs. Quantify and qualify data with specific details and statistics whenever possible.
Front Desk Lead | Noble Plastics, Grand Coteau, Louisiana
October 2018 - Present
- Manage rotating schedule for front desk duties
- Train staff on front desk procedures
- Answer multi-line phone system, greeted and assisted visitors and handled administrative duties
Additional Areas: Activities/Honors/Affiliations/Special Skills:
- List extracurricular activities that demonstrate skills, accomplishments and leadership, teamwork, self-management, organization;
- Include computer skills and/or foreign languages;
- Personal accomplishments (example: "financed 70 percent of college education"); and
- Unique experiences such as travel to a foreign country, study abroad.
Delta Nu | Vice President
- Establish and manage chapter budget of $1,000 per event
- Event planning, management, and makreting to meet University accreditation requirements
- References and, in some cases, portfolios or transcripts can be listed as "available upon request" if you have enough room at the bottom of the resume. Employers know that they can request this information so it is not necessary to include this phrase.
- You should have a separate reference page. Generally, this page will have the same heading as the resume and will list the name, title, employer, business mailing address and phone number of 3 to 5 academic or business references. Obtain permission from each reference before giving to a prospective employer and give each a copy of your resume.