At UL Lafayette Career Services, we continue to plan ways to help you prepare for your job search and connect with employers virtually. This spring, we will once again partner with Handshake to run career fairs in a virtual format. Career fairs are a great way to get a leg up with companies that interest you.A virtual format will enhance the experience, allowing you to:
● Meet with employers. Interact with recruiters through video, audio, or chat.
● Discover new career opportunities. Get personalized recommendations based on your Handshake profile for which employers to connect with.
● Pre-schedule 1:1 or group sessions with employers you’re interested in, or join an open session on the day-of.
● Make an impression. Bring your unique perspective to the table, ask great questions, and follow up with recruiters after the fair.
Spring 2021 Career Events
|Virtual||In-Person (If allowed)|
STEM Virtual Career Fair
Tuesday, February 23
9:00 AM-3:00 PM
All Majors Career Fair
Wednesday, March 10
Cajundome Convention Center
Business, Arts, Liberal Arts-General Virtual Career Fair
Wednesday, March 17
9:00 AM-3:00 PM
Employer registration is NOW OPEN in Handshake!
Benefits of Virtual Fairs
• You can participate from anywhere
• You don’t have to stand in line
• Easy to use app makes it simple to schedule appointments with employers
What to Expect at the Virtual Fair
• In many ways virtual fairs are like in-person fairs; a chance to connect with organizations, explore career options, participate in pre-fair events
• There are some differences; watch for prep programs coming this Fall.
• How-to instructions, will be available in August. Check back regularly to see a list of registered organizations.
The keys to a successful job fair experience are preparation and follow up. Here is a checklist to help you get prepared!
- Research the list of participating employers through Handshake
- Get your resume reviewed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prepare your 30 second introduction
- Make sure you have a business casual or professional outfit and the copies of your resume uploaded into your Handshake account
- Don't forget to make a list of the businesses you meet with at the virtual fair so you can follow up with thank-you notes.
Stay safe and know that we are open and happy to meet with you. Appointments can be scheduled through Handshake.